Tuesday, September 29, 2009

So it would appear, by this study, that it would be more cost effective to stay slim and healthy most of your life, rather than trying to drop it all at once.

"For every 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) gained since age 18, women's odds of surviving past 70 dropped 5 percent, researchers found. Women who were already overweight at age 18 and then gained more than 10 kilograms (22 kilograms) later in life only had about a 20 percent chance of surviving to age 70 in good health. The most commonly reported diseases were cancer, heart disease, and diabetes."

And, given that I'm predisposed to developing all three of these, thanks to my family history, this running is even more important to me. Yes, I've dropped maybe five pounds in the past month and a half...which is pretty good...but I want a nice, steady, healthy weight.

And then there is this study, which states that vegetarians (which, I've been before) are less likely to develop cancer.

"A study conducted in part by scientists at Oxford University’s Cancer Epidemiology Unit indicates that vegetarians develop some cancers, including bladder and stomach cancers and leukemia, up to 45% less than persons who eat red meat, that’s nearly half the risk!"

Yes, I love me a big slab of steak, with a baked sweet potato and a huge salad and some bread and a huge pint of beer. YUM! However, I think, for my long term happiness and health, I really need to start delving into a complete lifestyle change. Yes, I'm running and yes that is a good, positive change. But to be frank with you lovely people, I still eat like crap. Seriously. It's amazing though, how much better I feel when I do eat more veggies & fruits and whole grains...but as anyone priced that stuff lately? It's so expensive to eat healthy. But, I live near a Trader Joe's, which is pretty decently priced. But, spend the money now on good, quality food, or spend it later on health treatments, more prescriptions and higher health care costs??

No comments: